SHRIMP TACOS WITH SPICY CHIPOTLE SLAW
You guys, Cinco de Mayo is only a little over a week away! If you've read any of our posts, you know we are always looking for a reason to celebrate! Cinco de Mayo actually falls on a Saturday this year too. That just makes it even better and easier to celebrate! Mexican food is one of my favorites and I am excited to share this recipe for shrimp tacos with spicy chipotle slaw. This recipe was inspired by our favorite Mexican street corn recipe (we will share that later). We used a chipotle mixture that we use on our street corn to make a spicy slaw to top off our shrimp tacos. These were so yummy! With Cinco de Mayo right around the corner I thought this would be the perfect time to share this recipe.
To build our tacos, we topped the shrimp with the spicy chipotle slaw, pico de gallo, and Mexican cotija cheese. We also added a little squeeze of lime. The combo was delicious! The only thing better than eating these tacos, is having a margarita with it! If you are in need of a margarita recipe, try our pineapple margarita recipe here! Those are seriously my favorite margaritas right now and I could really go for one right about now! We used shrimp for this recipe, but it would also work great with steak, chicken, or fish!
To get started we mixed up the spicy chipotle slaw. This is just a mixture of sour cream, mayo, chipotle chili powder, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt. Mix that together really well and stir it in to 3 cups of the slaw mix. We just used a store bought slaw mix. The chipotle chili powder is pretty spicy. If you do not like a lot of spice, you may want to start out with a smaller amount and try it first. Once it's mixed with the slaw, it does cool it down a little too. We love spicy around here, so we use the full amount.After the slaw is made, stick it in the refrigerator while you continue with the rest of the recipe. It's important to make the slaw first so the flavors can sit and really meld together.
Next we prepared our tortillas by heating a skillet on medium, spraying it with cooking spray, and toasting our corn tortillas. We got them nice and crispy.
For the shrimp, we mixed up a combination of regular chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and salt. We coated the shrimp with olive oil and a squeeze of lime too. Make sure your pan is nice and hot before you throw the shrimp in. You cook them over medium/high heat. They cook up very fast.
After everything is cooked, it's time to assemble the tacos! Don't forget the cotija cheese. It is so good! Below is our recipe...
Ingredients: Yields 8 tacos
For the chipotle slaw:
- 3 Tablespoons sour cream (we used Light)
- 1 Tablespoon Mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (less to control the spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups of slaw mix (we used store bought)
For the shrimp:
- about 40 medium raw shrimp thawed (we used frozen deveined shrimp without the shell)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- lime juice (a couple squeezes)
- corn tortillas (we used white corn tortillas)
- pico de gallo
- cotija cheese
- lime wedge for serving (optional)
- Start by making the slaw. In a small bowl mix the sour cream, mayo, chipotle chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Combine the chipotle mixture with 3 cups of slaw mix and set in the refrigerator to chill.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Throw in your tortillas to brown them and make them crispy. Cook both sides and set aside.
- Heat another skillet over medium/high heat for the shrimp. Make sure your tails are removed from the shrimp and they are deveined, thawed, and that the shell is removed.
- In a bowl combine the raw shrimp with the olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and a couple squeezes of fresh lime juice.
- Cook the shrimp in the skillet for about 5 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through.
- Grab your tortillas and start assembling the tacos. Use about 5 shrimp per taco and top with the chipotle slaw mixture, pico de gallo, and the cotija cheese.
You can also throw on any of your other favorite ingredients. Avacado and cilantro would be awesome on these. We hope you enjoy these shrimp tacos as much as we do. We also hope you have a great Cinco de Mayo! Below are a couple more pictures. You'll notice the pitcher of margaritas... we totally weren't joking about those margaritas! It's the perfect combination.
Enjoy and Happy Cinco de Mayo!