WHITE CHOCOLATE COVERED OREOS FOR ST. PATRICK'S DAY
Around here we are always looking for a reason to celebrate and St. Patrick's Day is no different! It's such a fun day and the perfect excuse to wear and eat green! I mean, no one wants to get pinched. Today, In honor of St. Patrick's Day that is fast approaching, I made some really delicious white chocolate covered Oreo cookies. I used a little food coloring and turned them into the prettiest mint green cookies. To top it off, I added gold sprinkles. It almost looks like gold glitter on top. I love the green and gold color combo. These are so perfect for St. Patrick's Day and took minimal effort to make!
Yesterday my kindergartener came home with a leprechaun trap that he made at school out of small boxes. How cute is that?! I'm thinking we will need to use these St. Patrick's Day treats as bait. We haven't had luck on the whole catching a leprechaun thing in years past but maybe this year with these green and gold cuties we will have a chance. I mean what leprechaun could resist?
To get started I lined a cookie sheet with wax paper and set it aside. I then melted my white chocolate. You can totally do the double boiler method and melt it over the stove top if you want. I however went the simpilier route and just melted it in the microwave. I put the settings at 50% and stirred ever minute to 30 seconds. After the white chocolate was melted, I added in a few drops of green food coloring and stirred it together. You can add as much or as little as you want. I wanted a light mint green color.
After the melted white chocolate was perfectly green, I started dunking my Oreo cookies. I used a fork and put the Oreos one at a time in the white chocolate. I gently pushed them down so that the sides of the Oreo filled in with the white chocolate. I then lifted the cookie back up with the fork and used a spoon in my other hand to pour the white chocolate over the top of the cookie to coat the top. After that, I gently wiggled the Oreo on the fork back and forth and it smoothed over the top and threw off any excess white chocolate. I found the wiggling motion to be very important to get the smooth finish on the top. I sat the freshly dipped cookies on my wax paper covered cookie sheet and immediately put my sprinkles on so they would stick.
These were so fun and easy to make. The best part is, you can do any colors for any occasion or holiday! I used an original Oreo cookie but you could use any flavor you want. The mint flavored ones would be awesome in this recipe!
Ingredients: Yields: 20 Cookies
- Oreo Cookies (any flavor you want)
- 10 oz White Chocolate (I used the Ghirardelli white melting wafers)
- Green Food Coloring
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and set aside
- Melt the white chocolate either in a double boiler or in the microwave (stirring often)
- Add the desired amount of food coloring to your melted white chocolate and stir until combined
- Use a fork to place an Oreo into the white chocolate. Push down gently so the sides fill in with the white chocolate
- Pull the dipped Oreo back up with your fork and use a spoon in your other hand to pour the chocolate over the top of the Oreo
- Gently wiggle the fork with the Oreo on it back and forth over the chocolate mixture so the top gets smooth and any excess white chocolate comes off.
- Place the cookie on your wax paper lined cookie sheet and immediately put your sprinkles on
- Repeat with the remainder of the cookies
- Let them dry and the white chocolate to harden completely before moving
I quickly learned that I shouldn't keep them out on the counter like I wanted too... they were too tempting to grab as I walked by. I had to hide them from myself. How do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day... Green beer, corned beef and cabbage, leprechaun catching, shamrocks galore? Anyway you do it, we hope you have a Happy St. Patrick's Day!